Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Relentless Hunt

A few weekends ago, I went to the flea market with my boyfriend Kevin and my fabulous friend Bren.  It was a steamy Sunday at the fairgrounds, but Bren and I were on a mission for jewels.  Luckily, we are both very drawn to the flashy, slightly tacky, yet fantastic finds available at the flea market.  Once Bren found Kevin and I, the first vendor we came across, was by far our favorite.  I don't usually venture the side of the flea market near the arena, but it was a happy accident.  We started purusing what the man under the umbrella had to offer.  We started grabbing the shiny pieces of the past, which immediately burned our fingers, but we were relentless.  I started coming across pieces of an organic nature--I was hoping for bone.  I collected three pieces that I was excited about, and threw them into Bren's tray of finds

                                    

We hunted for another thirty minutes, and took our pieces to the umbrella.  I asked him what my pieces of organic material were and he said "Antler."  I was ecstatic.  My first thought was Ruby Kobo, a design collaboration of Yuvi Alpert and Danna Kobo that I discovered in Zink Mag back in February.  I fell in love with this line of jewelry, a unisex fusion of organic materials and glitz. 

When I discovered my coveted pieces of bone were really antler, I had a stream of ideas flowing.  The remainder of the flea market trip was enjoyable, and I found so many items I wanted!  We decided to end the day before dehydration was a likelihood.  I bought some chain and Swavarski crystals from Michael's and started adding pieces until I felt it was complete.  I pulled additional inspiration from my friend Katie McGinnis, designer of Evidence Jewelry.  She uses mixed metals and various sizes of chain to create an uninhibited look.  Here is my final look:



I'm still deciding what to do with my other pieces.  I have been considering starting an Etsy store.  What do you guys think??

Love always,
<3 Coveted

No comments:

Post a Comment