Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I am as vain as I allow..

I've recently purchased season one of The Rachel Zoe Project and when talking about finding your personal style she said, "Style is expressing who you are without opening your mouth."   I think that is an excellent way of describing personal style.  However, sometimes it makes me wonder how people perceive me.  My style has evolved multiple times and has manifested in various ways.  My latest obsessions are dark, drape, interesting shapes, mixing of textures, and as always; lots and lots of ethnic influenced jewelry.  I've taken much inspiration from designers I have found featured on Dirty Flaws, an incredible meca of alternative dressing.  Some designers that really pull at my heart strings lately are Gareth Pugh, Katie Gallagher, Rick Owens and many others sprinkled throughout.  Since I am no where near able to afford the luxuries of such incredible talents, I hunt for items to try and create my own look.  Here are a few pictures that my sister, Lizzy, took of me on a fun, sunny day.





My shirt is a sheer oversized button down from Torrid.  Torrid has some great plus size options, which is great for me since I am well endowed up top.  My favorite part is the longer tail in the back of the shirt.  My skirt is from H&M, where I get most of my favorite basics from.  This skirt gets SO much wear!! I wear it with tights, boots, flats, and various other layers.  This is a MUST have!  My boots are from Urban Outfitters, Deena and Ozzy.  I've worn them out and I'm on my second pair.  I like leaving mine unzipped for a little extra "sloppy chic."   Now, down to the jewelry.  My earrings are from Progress Body Piercing.  They've done most of all my piercings and I wouldn't get any work done anywhere else.  My large cuff stone bracelet is from the Raleigh Flea Market.  I find some great treasures at the flea market everytime I go, which is at least twice a month.  My necklaces are made of antler and cow hide.  I also bought these items to make into jewelry myself from the fleamarket.  I love trying to make my own jewelry! It's a great outlet for creativity and that way, you can get the exact result you want.  The finger shield ring is one of my favorite pieces. I got it on the street on a day trip to NY along with the bronze animal skull ring on the opposite hand.  This is made by Castro.  He is incredible!! He has so many amazing, hand-made leather cuffs as well as intricate rings.  My silver armour ring is from Forever 21, a great place to find inexpensive jewelry.  My bangles are from the flea market, Light Years, and one given to me by my mom from her childhood. 

I like to keep a clean palette for my clothing.  I love black because it's flattering, powerful, and mysterious.  It provides an excellent backdrop to accessories as well. I'm constantly looking for the best new pair of shoes to work into my wardrobe, or that perfect ring to balance out my hand, or the right sweater to layer with effortlessly. Recently I've been on the hunt for the perfect leather jacket for me.  I'll let you know when I find it.


<3
Coveted

No comments:

Post a Comment